Sunday, June 8, 2008

reply Callie - food

Hi Callie and everyone...

Food.

As interns, we are provided with lunch and dinner in building 3, door 2, floor 2. Food is authentic, usually vegetables with a little meat a day, and rice and man-tou (steamed bread) every lunch and dinner.

Food outside can be purchased at restaurants (I had lunch for 3-4 RNB) and sidewalk carts (1-2RNB for breakfast).

I've got cereal from a supermarket, fairly cheap. I've been snacking on bars if I don't have food. But you can buy snacks here too for our market value or cheaper (often).

To warn you, milk here is very creamy. Skim isn't terribly popular. So I eat my cereal cold.

There are plenty of drinks here. Maybe bring your favorite tea packets or some instant oatmeal, plenty of hot water in the containers they provide.

Keep posting if you've any questions.

Money, I'm not sure how much. If you eat out at least once a day, it's 7-10 RNB at most, and that's if you're an expensive big eater. But overall, however much you want to spend on food can be roughly calculated by taking 7-10 RNB and multiplying by the days you're staying. But that's my guess.

Money for gifts for home, if you can bargain, and you aren't looking for "high quality", "name brand" items, simple stuff...you can buy a lot for 100 RNB. I can buy 3 children's dresses for that much possibly. Or 5-7 glittery hairclips. Or 4 ipod-computer chargers. It's all how you can bargain.

No comments: