Wednesday, June 4, 2008

internship, a less vague outline

Hi Everyone,
I wanted to fill you a little more in about what you can expect when you get here. I'm sorry if I repeat something in an older post, but I need to get my mind off being homesick.

So...

We'll be assigned three things.

1) volunteer with the infants

2) serve as a volunteer coordinator - you'll take turns carrying the cell phone (probably) and work scheduling in the volunteers if needed and being the "go-to" person for their questions.
OR - another job that Brent assigns (I haven't seen the list yet)

3) capstone project - Brent has a list, I haven't seen that either.

Right now some of the Harvard volunteers and the Tufts volunteers are here. We've been volunteering with the infants for part of the day, then the volunteers do whatever they want.

There's talk of interns working regularly with the older children (older than toddlers). I'm to speak with the managers of the group homes (education for older kids) about a session (Brent said an hour a day maybe) with the youngest group home children (3-5 years). It'll be an English hour with singing, maybe some stories, games, it hasn't been sorted out yet.

Now this is an idea that I recently heard, not much detail has been given to me. But a woman came into the office today to talk about the taking the group home children to the something olympics. I didn't hear her clearly, but if you let your imaginations run, you all may have a part of this, and the children could have a once in a lifetime experience.

I really look forward to meeting all of you. My Chinese is very limited and everyone around, literally, nearly all of the office staff are Chinese-only (and so busy that both of us in the conversation run out of patience quite quickly). It's been a little difficult talking with people besides volunteers and there's so much I want to ask and talk about! Please post about how your preparations are coming along, I'm very curious about everything and I'm reading English words like crazy ;)

No comments: