Sunday, May 18, 2008

Answers to Ysabelle, Visa, good news

Hi Everyone,
I suppose that everyone has received their papers from ChinaCare for the visa. I wouldn't say you can relax quite yet. Tomorrow I'll head back to Chicago and try and get the visa again. My dad and the staff at ChinaCare in CT have found a couple slight bumps that might derail attempts to get visas. But don't freak out, other volunteers going to China, non-interns have been successful with getting their visas.
If you haven't already, you may want to consider going through a visa service, which will cost you extra but may be the magic touch that could be the tipping point. If tomorrow I can't the visa, I'll express my documents to VisaRite and hopefully that'll be it.

I'll post Tuesday or Wednesday how the visa trip goes tomorrow. Hopefully a good result will come of this.

Immunizations... so if you haven't already talked to a travel doctor or gone to a travel clinic, you'll want to get the typhoid and hepatitis A vaccines. Where we are located will be too far north for the malaria vaccine to be necessary.

On a side of good news, my trip to the clinic was definitely a blessed trip. My arms were crazy sore but I was able to speak with the doctor about gathering some free samples of supplies on the ChinaCare donation list. He passed that list to the person who works with sales representatives of Enfamil, Similac, Tylenol, and drug companies. I was called back a couple days later and the lady gave me 55 pounds of formula and other medications to bring to China.
I highly encourage you to speak with your travel doctor and talk about what we'll be doing and how they can help. It was a huge surprise for me when she let me take all of that specialized formula and infant medications, she said that it was "doing her a favor" because they had so much! So maybe you could speak with your physicians and possibly score some goods :)

Thank you Ysabelle for posting about yourself :)

thank you Lauren for the bon voyage! hopefully I'll be flying out, assuming the visa passes without a glitch.

I'll keep posting up until I fly out, and I'll try and post as much as I can out there about what you can expect.

No comments: